Deploy Windows 7 with MDT 2010 + WDS + WAIK

by Marin Franković on 6 August, 2010

OK, so I guess I lied a bit that my next post will be after my vacation. Or maybe not. Smile This tutorial was recorded couple of days before my vacation, and I scheduled it to publish today.

In this video tutorial I will show you how to create reference Windows 7 computer, capture its image and then re-deploy it to production as finished and configured product. This video is in English.

All applications and tools (except operating systems) are free of charge and can be downloaded from Microsoft web site.

Before you start, you will need to prepare your environment.

• DC or member server for WDS role
  • DHCP server role
  • File server role
  • Power Shell feature
  • Install MDT 2010 Update 1
  • Install WAIK

Pramod Kumar September 1, 2010 at 10:24

I am following to your method for deploying image and capturing image of windows 7 but still not take and compatible platform of structure of OS such as windows 7. According your view reference computer unable to support f12 while DHCP booting process was ok.

Can you help me?

navin October 21, 2010 at 22:40

please help deploy windows xp from windows deployment server .
if u have any video please give me a link .my email add is navin_suvarna83@yahoo.com

Marin Franković October 22, 2010 at 7:07
Subash October 14, 2011 at 9:29

Hi Marin,

I was going thorugh ur given link and deployed win 7 sucessfully,after deploy in some other model i found some driver missing,Do you have any link how to add the required driver to existing wim file,it will help me for deplyment in my ORG.

Regards
Subas

Marin Franković October 14, 2011 at 18:31

Hi Subash,

correct way to do this is to use DISM command line tool (http://www.commodore.ca/windows/inject_drivers_pe_3_0_windows_7/inject_drivers_winpe.htm). Also, there is unofficial third party GUI tool for DISM command (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/9682-Je-Jin-s-DISM-Tool).

Adam June 12, 2011 at 3:55

I only use WDS but am interested in using the MDT

Any suggestions for getting around the limit of sysprepping an image three times? I used to sysprep the base OS install, but then discovered that counted against you leaving only two more.

Now, I try and build my Golden image with all apps installed and then Sysprep into a Single WIM file for deployment via WDS. I wonder if there is a better way.

Thanks.

Marin Franković June 12, 2011 at 12:50

Hi Adam,

have you considered duplicating your golden image. Then sysprep one of them and keep another one in a safe place. Then when you need to change something, update first one, clone it again and sysprep it. That way you will circumvent 3 syspreps limitation (Quick edit. This is not sysprep limitation, rather a rearm switch limitation of slmgr command. Every time you do a sysprep, you rearm the OS, hence 3 sysprep limitations) and you will always have up- to date image. On the other hand, there is interesting article on SID creation on domain computers. This is a reason why Microsoft removed NewSID from their site. Article is by Mark Russinovich (http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx).

GR July 13, 2011 at 7:43

Thanks for the video. Great stuff!

Naris Schnegg July 15, 2011 at 14:38

Great video! Thanks for your help!

Martyn September 14, 2011 at 14:00

With help from this walktrough i did the job!

Marin Franković September 14, 2011 at 17:26

Hi Martyn,

I am glad that this post helped you.

valerio September 26, 2011 at 16:51

Good job marin, easy to setup with your video. thanx

Ted October 3, 2011 at 20:43

Having trouble with the PXE boot. Following instructions but can’t PXE. I get a valid IP, then it says Downloaded WDSNBP, then Windows Deployment Services: PXE Boot Aborted. Any ideas?

Marin Franković October 3, 2011 at 22:10

Hi Ted,

are you booting PXE from virtual machine? If so, you have to use legacy network adapter in virtual machine network settings. Also, this looks like boot image problem. What boot image are you using? x64 or x86? What operating system are you trying to install? Version and arhitecture. Have you enabled and checked WDS or MDT logs (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936625 and http://www.wardvissers.nl/2010/06/11/where-to-find-the-right-mdt-2010-logs/)?

Ted October 3, 2011 at 22:47

The computer pushing the image is a VM. The computer attempting to PXE boot and receive the image is a physical machine. I’ve burned the Boot PE ISO to CD and can boot successfully from the CD and perform the imaging. I’m using Windows 7 Enterprise x86. Under boot images I have tried both x86 and x64 listed. I started with x86 to match to OS version in the beginning. I’m going to turn on logging and see if I can find the source of my problem in there. Thanks

anson October 14, 2011 at 4:01

hi
The process of deploying wds + mdt2010 encountered some problems
One problem:
mdt2010 client pc to publish the application is installed, the client pc root directory of D have left the package there any way to automatically remove him. (Image package is windows 7)

Second problem:
mdt2010 released to the client pc windows 7 system, the client pc’s c root directory one more windows.old folder, which is the deepest catalog in a flash of the dll file, Is there any way to delete him, or to avoid. (DeploymentType = REPLACE installed after image capture system)

Thanks

Yoe December 12, 2011 at 8:35

Hi I’m following your steps and so far so good.
Now, how to do domain joining in MDT?
If there are different model of hardware how to do it via MDT?
Cheers

FaisalKhan December 27, 2011 at 11:58

followed you video uptill the capturning of image and creating another deployment share + adding image into it. now here i am not sure what next!!!! how to deploy this image onto my target PC. please advise.
Thansk

Marin Franković December 30, 2011 at 22:46

Hi FaisalKhan,

video shows all required steps to capture and deploy image.

Subhash January 8, 2012 at 8:49

Hi Marin,
Kindly make a video for application deployment thru MDT & thru SCCM.

Grey January 11, 2012 at 14:36

may I ask exactly where can i get these ?

DC or member server for WDS role
DHCP server role
File server role
Power Shell feature

I already have WAIK and WDT

Marin Franković January 11, 2012 at 14:40

Hi Grey,

DC stands for domain controller, which is installed on Windows Server 2008 after running dcpromo.exe command, DHCP, WDS and File server are Windows Server roles that can be installed by using Server Manager console. PowerShell is a feature that is also installed via Server Manager console.

Grey January 11, 2012 at 15:12

Hi Marin
I am curious, isn’t there anyway to do all this on an Windows 7 x64 Professional OS … I installed WAIK and WDT on the system but … I don’t really know what else to install and what to do . I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 but am reluctant to install it sice I’m getting along perfectly with my current Windows 7 and don’t want to format my windows drive ( afraid my Windows 7 license won’t be accepted for my second install if I’m not satisfied with Windows Server )

Marin Franković January 11, 2012 at 16:53

Ji Grey,

these roles are available only on Windows Server 2008 or newer operating systems. You can install VMware Player on your Windows 7 and in it virtualize Windows Server 2008 R2.

Yoe January 12, 2012 at 2:37

I’m having difficulty to join to the correct OU, is there any way to do it via mdt?

Jullie January 13, 2012 at 18:30

Hi Marin,

Thanks for this great video! So I boot my physical machine and all goes well until I select “Run the Deployment Wizard”.. This is the error I get:

A connection to the Deployment server (\\XX\MainShare) could not be made. The following networking device did not have a driver installed. PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10EA&SUBSYS_040B1028&REV_05)

Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

Jullie

Marin Franković January 13, 2012 at 18:34

Hi Jullie,

did you see this technet post on injecting drivers in Wiondows PE? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/2c2e31b3-77d3-4fe7-9e9f-d6dc70523781

Jullie January 13, 2012 at 21:34

Marin,

Thank you again! It worked like a charm!

-Jullie

Jullie January 13, 2012 at 21:51

Marin,
Can you guide me to sysprep and applications install best practice? I need guidance on how these two work when deploying my production image. Thanks!!

-Jullie

Marin Franković January 14, 2012 at 19:08

Hi Jullie,

personally, we have one golden image which is preinstalled with all our applications. It is Windows 7 image. Since Windows 7 can be rearmed only 3 times due to a sysprep issue, our golden image is not syspreped. Instead, every time we have to deploy new image with either new applications or OS updates, we update golden image, copy it, sysprep its copy and then deploy it. We are in a process of implementing SCCM which will reduce image size and make application easier and more efficient.

vikram barkataky January 27, 2012 at 8:29

Thank you so much for the video , it helped me a lot in doing the basic deployment. Really you have posted a great tutorial.

Thomas Franklin March 10, 2012 at 22:07

I am getting no boot file name found. PXE-53 error. Please help.

yasin March 14, 2012 at 23:51

hey man thanks for the video that was very helpful just wanna know about the post install for the programs like the realplayer and some programs :D

Joe March 21, 2012 at 11:33

Great tutorial. I did a lot of the set up on my own and spend a lot of time with trial and error. Thanks for showing me the rest of the puzzle… If you could, can you get in to more details with the advance packaging and why would you use image groups..

Joe March 21, 2012 at 11:40

Also, if you can show how to inject drivers, security patches and applications into the wim file using dism… Thanks again.

Marin Franković March 21, 2012 at 12:14
Jeff E. March 22, 2012 at 22:50

Is DHCP role absolutely necessary? The targets should by default pick up an IP address from our existing DHCP server and I am concerned about address conflicts/duplication should we introduce a second server into the mix.

Marin Franković March 22, 2012 at 22:58

Hi Jeff,

you can use existing DHCP server in your environment. I needed one in my test lab to issue IP addresses to clients.

Paul_Chile May 23, 2012 at 19:40

Excellent step by step ! . Thank You

kjee May 24, 2012 at 13:44

When do you use Power shell in this guide? oO

Marin Franković May 24, 2012 at 17:21

Hi kjee,

this guide does not cover deployment, configuration on management via PowerShell.

kjee May 25, 2012 at 13:48

aaah ok, ty for fast answar Marin ;)

One last question, can i deploy a .tib file? If not how can i do it? I only have the “image” in a .tib file.

Marin Franković May 25, 2012 at 13:57

Hi kjee,

no you can not deploy Acronis image (.tib) file.

kjee May 29, 2012 at 7:16

oki, can I deploy a .ISO file?

kjee May 30, 2012 at 14:47

Information

The server is virtuell.
I`m sharing the “deploymentshare” directory.

After clicking “Run the deployment wizard” i`m geting a window where I need to write In the path to the deploymentshare directory \\serverIP\Deplotmentshare. After that i need to write in “User Credentials for connecting to network shares”, im writing in the domain administrator username and password and error message comes up: invalid creditals…. do you know what the problem is? : S

I can deploy .wim without MDT so I havent installed WDS wrong.

In your video you don`t need to do this step, have I mby forgot something? oO

john June 5, 2012 at 15:02

this helps to avoid WDS/WAIK when net installing

Marin Franković June 5, 2012 at 15:07

Hi john,

thanks for this great info! It is good to have alternative solutions for different needs.

Takeirosoun July 5, 2012 at 15:58

It is OK if the computer can’t boot off the network when pressing F12, you just need to create the ISO Lite Touch boot disk..

boamah solomon August 4, 2012 at 9:48

I have use this method to deploy win07 on bare-metal computers. my problem is when i use it on computers already with operating systems on them like win-xp, it does not finish.it keep on asking me of credential to be use to connect to the shared network file. what credential should i enter? admin account does not work?