Hello again. In the previous post I have explained how to create iSCSI targets on Windows 2008 Storage server, how to create two node failover cluster and how to create highly available virtual machine. Later on, we demoed Live migration from one node to another using Failover Cluster Manager console. Now I am going to explain how to install SCVMM 2008 R2, how to add our cluster to it and how to invoke Live migration using SCVMM administrator console.
SCVMM 2008 R2 will be installed on NODE1. NODE1 should meet all installation prerequisites.
Install SCVMM 2008 R2
- Start SCVMM 2008 R2 installation on NODE1
1. Use local service account as management acc (for demo purposes)
2. Install SQL Express
- Install SCVMM 2008 R2 Administrator console
Adding cluster to SCVMM 2008 R2
Make sure that you cluster IP address is valid and that is registered in DNS (Part 1, Creating Hyper-V Failover Cluster, step 7).
- Open SCVMM Administrator Console
- On the Action pane, click Add host
- Enter administrator password (domain admin is used for purposes of this demo)
- In the host name field, enter name of one of the nodes (NetBIOS name)
- Do NOT select “Skip AD validation” (If you select this option only one node will be added and not your complete cluster)
- Click ADD (Dialog box will pop up saying that node is part of a cluster and it will ask you do you want to add all cluster nodes in SCVMM)
- Click Yes
Now wait couple of minutes until SCVMM adds and configures your cluster and virtual machines into console. Few minutes later, you will have your cluster and two nodes in it visible in an admin console.
Invoke controlled Live migration
- Select the node where your virtual machine is running
- Right click on your virtual machine and select Migrate
- Wizard will open and you should have option to Live migrate to another node
- Select that other node and click Migrate
And that is it! In just couple of hours we have installed, configured and tested Hyper-V Live migration scenario by using only Microsoft products. Bear in mind that this setup is for demo purposes only and it is not recommended to be used in production scenarios.http://blog.frankovic.net/Download/2_Live_Migration_Full_Demo_SCVMM_2008_R2.flv
Next post will be dedicated to several methods of Windows Server 2008 R2 AD disaster recovery.