Deploy Win 7 with MDT and SCCM

by Marin Franković on 15 December, 2009

Here is a 10 minute demo made by Michel Niehaus on how to deploy Windows 7 by integrating MDT 2010 into System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP2.

Get Microsoft Silverlight

Jonathan December 31, 2009 at 9:26

First, congratulation for your post. Like you, I try to deploy Windows 7 with SCCM 2007 and MDT 2010 but it doesn’t work. The client don’t find the PXE server. Can you help me please.

Marin Franković December 31, 2009 at 10:55

Hi. Did you enable PXE service on SCCM? Are all required services started on SCCM server?

Jonathan December 31, 2009 at 11:35

Hi, and thank you. I enable PXE service on SCCM (site Database => Site Management => Site settings => site systems => select the server and add PXE role… But i don’t know if it’s important, but WDS doen’t work… To configur SCCM and MDT, i work on local administrator and i can manage WDS only when i worked on my account on my domain….

Marin Franković December 31, 2009 at 12:45

It is very hard to detect problem like this. Here is great blog post on deploying win 7 with SCCM, step by step. http://www.systemcentercentral.com/BlogDetails/tabid/143/IndexID/23745/Default.aspx. Be sure to check all services, service account and prerequisites for instaling and configuring SCCM. Hope it helps.

Jonathan December 31, 2009 at 14:02

Thank you for your help.

omar August 12, 2010 at 14:48

how did you make the client package ?

Marin Franković August 12, 2010 at 20:26

Hi Omar,

everything is explained in the video.

Jeff June 10, 2011 at 2:40

Thank God someone has taken the time to explain all of this….i have been searching high and low for something exactly like this. it was great now i know for the first time how to do this and integrate this with SCCM and make it work properly. can you maybe do another with roles ad features? or a task sequence with something a bit more complex and explain what it does and how it does it? like task sequence variables or WMI variables.

Dan June 4, 2012 at 14:33

I’m having trouble understanding if I should use the MDT console if i attached it to SCCM. Do I need to make a deployment for MDT to connect to?

Marin Franković June 4, 2012 at 15:09

Hi Dan,

i think you can use SCCM or MDT console. But since you installed MDT on SCCM server, it will extend SCCMs default task sequences with additional steps and I would recommend deploying OSs via SCCM console.

Check out these two links: http://blog-en.netvnext.com/2011/05/configuring-mdt-2010-integration-with.html and http://www.jamesbannanit.com/2011/11/integrate-mdt-2012-with-sccm-2012/.