SCVMM 2008 R2 guide (Part 1)

by Marin Franković on 12 October, 2009

Well, in the couple of last few month I have been testing and utilizing System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 application. I must say, that it is much easier to control, configure and manage virtual machines through this console than it is by using standard Hyper-V console in Windows Server 2008 R2. By using this server, you can manage Hyper-V, Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 and VMWare virtualization servers. Also, there is possibility of V2V (Virtual to virtual) and P2V (Physical to virtual) conversions. So I have decided to create couple of post and describe how to ease your virtual machine management, beginning with SCVMM 2008 R2 installation and initial configuration.

First of all, let me describe to you my hardware configuration on which I use this.

• HP 6710b laptop
  • 4 GB RAM
  • Core 2 DUO T8300 processor
  • 2 5400 RPM external USB disks

On my laptop I have dual boot Windows 7 64bit on physical disk and Windows 2008 R2 64 bit in VHD file.

I use Windows Server 2008 R2 for Hyper-V virtualization, mostly demoing new software and OS features. I have also installed SCVMM 2008 R2 onto it.

These are requirements for installing SCVMM 2008 R2 on your computer:

Hardware requirements

Software requirements

• x64 architecture
  • 2.8 GHz or faster CPU
  • INTEL-VT or AMD-V support
  • min 2 GB of RAM
  • 200 GB disk space (I have 20 GB :))
  • DVD-ROM
  • Microsoft .NET 2.0 and 3.0
  • SQL Server (I use MS database engine, which is not recommended for production)
  • MS PowerShell
  • WinRM
  • computer must be member of a domain
  • IIS 7.0 (if you plan to install Self-Service Portal)

You can start installation from a DVD or by mounting ISO image of installation DVD into your computer. I prefer ISO images since it is much faster method of installation. Complete installation in my case took no longer than 20 minutes.

scvmm2008r2[1]

On the left, you can see initial splash screen of SCVMM 2008 R2 installation. It would be good to read preparation guides and installation notes, and i highly recommend testing you VMM environment with VMM Configuration Analyzer tool prior to starting installation. Setup part gives us couple of options. In my case, I have installed VMM Server and VMM console on the same computer. First, install VMM server. Installation is strait forward and after checking all hardware and software components you will be asked information about SQL server (choose first option if you do not have SQL server installed in network). Installation will complete in about 20 minutes. After that, install SCVMM administrator console and you are good to go. You can install Administration Console on remote computer (Windows Vista, Windows 7) if you prefer.

Bare in mind that if you want to control remote Hyper-V servers you will have to open several ports in firewall, both on SCVMM 2008 R2 server and remote virtualization servers. This is best done by using Group Policy. Here is a table of ports that you need to open:

SCVMM Ports and Protocols

Click for a bigger image.

Now we have successfully installed SCVMM server and Administration console. In Part 2, I will explain use of administration console and how to add virtual servers and how to group them.

syukri zain March 22, 2010 at 13:43

hi there,

can i install scvmm 2008 r2 on virtualized windows 2008?
    I’ve tried so many time but failed and the error emassage was the ws-management service is not running@listening.

FYI, i’ve done the winrm qc before installed it.

Marin Franković March 22, 2010 at 18:55

Hi syukri,

yes you can run SCVMM 2008 R2 on virtualized 2008 server. I do it all the time for demo purposes. Did you meet all the prerequisites (http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/archive/2009/01/05/scvmm-2008-installation-step-by-step.aspx)?

eng April 12, 2010 at 11:09

hi
    i cant install vmm server. i test it on 3 machine. but the same error:
    Unable to perform the job because one or more of the selected objects are locked by another job.
    To find out which job is locking the object, in the Jobs view, group by Status, and find the running or canceling job for the object. When the job is complete, try again.
    can you help me.

Marin Franković April 12, 2010 at 11:33

Hi eng,

I install all my SCVMM server wit SQL Express, since I mostly use them in demos. I Guess you are installing it with full SQL server. It seems that error is related to Library creation and SQL server. Did you check out this (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrsetup/thread/ea77394e-1837-40ae-823a-fa609442bd30)? Try to install SCVMM with SQL Express database.

If you installed beta version previously, you should uninstall it with “Remove data” option and not “Retain data”.

Susannah July 3, 2011 at 13:45

What a great reuscore this text is.

eng April 13, 2010 at 12:57

i installed the sql express and the error changed to
    VMM is unable to complete the request. The connection to the agent server2008r2.dexter.iri was lost. Ensure that the WS-Management service and the agent are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTP traffic. If the error persists, reboot server2008r2.dexter.iri and then try the operation again.
    ID: 2916. Details: Unknown error (0x80338126)
    what can i do ?

Marin Franković April 13, 2010 at 16:14

Hi eng,

did you try to run “winrm qc” from command line on server2008r2.dexter.iri? That should enable winrm. Try disabling firewall on that server to make sure that it is not blocking agent installation. If you tried to install SCVMM with SQL server and then SQL Express, that also may be a problem. It is really hard to help without seeing the problem. 🙂

eng April 14, 2010 at 20:57

Hi Martin
    i install vvm on 2008 x64 sp2 and it installed quick & nice .but in 2008 r2 i have the previous error .
    i have 2 question:
    is defference beetween 2008 and and 2008 r2 in installation step ?
    did you set a proxy server or its not nessesary ?

Marin Franković April 14, 2010 at 21:25

Hi eng,

there is no difference in installation. I recommend you to try to reinstall SCVMM 2008 R2 on fresh Windows Server 2008 R2 installation.

eng April 14, 2010 at 22:49

I Installed SCVMM on fresh R2 and its work.
    thank you.
    but you dont answer me that did you setup a proxy.because i run it with gfi web monitor without isa .and i saw in some weblog that is nessesary and in microsoft document i didnt see any thing about proxy setting.
    anyway thank you again.

Marin Franković April 15, 2010 at 7:01

Hi eng,

I am glad that it works. To answer your question, no, I did not use proxy, since i do nit use ISA server or GFI monitor.

hubert April 5, 2011 at 15:32

hi i have problem with installing scvmm 2008sp1 on server 2008 r2 which is DC and has hyperv role, all is only for testing … when i try install scvmm i got error “Failed to configure the WS-Management service. In the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Remote Management (WinRM), and then ensure that there are no policy settings configured for WinRM Client or WinRM Service.” but i check winrm in gpedit.msc and i have all settings “not configured”