Lenovo SL500 and Windows 7 (64 bit BETA)

by Marin Franković on 11 February, 2009

Lenovo & Windows 7Few days ago I purchased Lenovo SL500 laptop, and of course decided to install Windows 7 64bit on it. Everything went smoothly, almost all drivers were installed during OS installation except fingerprint driver and bluetooth driver. To install bluetooth driver I had to install Lenovo?s Access application, because that is the only way you can enable bluetooth device, once I did that OS recognized BT adapter and downloaded appropriate drivers.

Fingerprint reader was a different story. I managed to install Lenovo native application for managing fingerprints, but driver that came with it did not work with Windows 7. Not a problem, I googled it and found out that manufacturer of a fingerprint sensor has a BETA driver for Windows 7. Here are links for 32bit or 64bit version of the drivers and a link for supported devices.

But that is not all! Lenovo application will crash every time you start it! I lost almost an hour finding solution for this problem. And when I lost all hope of ever getting fingerprint to work I found this! The problem was splash screen that Lenovo fingerprint application tries to start!

UPDATE: All Lenovo drivers for Windows 7 BETA will be available here!

IE8 One more thing that I noticed, which does not have any relation to Lenovo but rather to Windows 7 behavior. When I tried to start IE 8 BETA it took at least 15 seconds to open, but when I started IE ( BETA as Administrator (right click on IE and select Run As Administrator) it opened instantly. At first I thought my computer was infected by a virus, bur after full virus and spyware scanning I realized that problem lays elswhere.So after about 30 minutes I discovered that I had to disable option “Automaticly detect settings” in Tools – Internet Options – Connections?- LAN Settings. IE was starting instantly now.

Ilija February 11, 2009 at 20:54

And what do you think about Windows 7 x64? Is it fast?

Marin February 11, 2009 at 21:34

I have been using Windows 7 64 bit on my personal and my bussines laptop. I must say that ist much faster than Vista SP1 64bit and very, very stable, althou its a BETA version.

devilegna February 13, 2009 at 20:34

Thanks 🙂

techdeuce February 18, 2009 at 5:11

I have been running it too, doesnt seem all that faster. They just sped up the opening of windows. The rest of the add-ons are slow to start. Also the network manager still is terrible. I been in the biz for a long time and have been hoping that they OS’s would get faster not fancier/slower and larger. Is it so terrible to make it instant? I may have to go to puppy linux full time.

JOhan VArgas March 17, 2009 at 15:42

Tengo una lenovo sl500 y le cambie el window vista al xp service pack 2… y corre fenomenal… solo hay una cosa, cuando me conecto a una conexion de internet inalambrico me aparece una ventana para instalar un driver del bluetooth… Porque me estara pasando esto?

Marin March 17, 2009 at 15:56

I am not that good in Spanish. 🙂 Can you write it in English maybe?

Marin March 18, 2009 at 20:18

Ok, here it goes! 🙂 English to Spanish Google way! : Cuando se activa la tarjeta inalmbrica, que encienda el Bluetooth tambin. Utilice la aplicacin Actualizacin del sistema para instalar controladores ms recientes para Bluetooth.

RaiulBaztepo March 28, 2009 at 22:21

Hello!
Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
PS: Sorry for my bad english, I’v just started to learn this language 😉
See you!
Your, Raiul Baztepo

PiterKokoniz April 7, 2009 at 23:41

Hi !!! 🙂
I am Piter Kokoniz. Just want to tell, that your blog is really cool
And want to ask you: what was the reasson for you to start this blog?
Sorry for my bad english:)
Tnx!
Your Piter

Marin April 8, 2009 at 9:44

Hi Peter.
Well, there are many reasons why I started this. 🙂 To help others if they encounter same problems as me, to find my own solutions if I forget them, to kill time when I am on a bussines trip …

Sune April 22, 2009 at 8:47

Hello Marin. I too have just bought a SL500 and installed windows 7, though I’m having problems with the bluetooth services. I’ve installed Access Connections, but doesn’t seem to see a ‘connect to other devices’ tab/button, which I’d think should do the trick. Is it possible to elaborate how you installed the driver, so I can use it for my mobilephone?

Marin April 23, 2009 at 13:20

Did you try Fn + F5 combination?

Holurb April 24, 2009 at 19:12

Hi Marin,

I have the same Problem as Sune, so I installed Access Connections –> there is no Bluetooth Enable Button and in the FN+F5 Menu the same. So I am not able to turn on Bluetooth. Is there another possibility to turn it on?
Best regards from Germany

Marin April 24, 2009 at 19:44

All I installed is Access Connections, and Fn + F5 (after few seconds delay) shows up menu where I can enable/disable connections. Maybe you disabled bluetooth in BIOS?

suneemil May 13, 2009 at 16:42

If so, I do not know how to change the BIOS back.

After getting the SL500 and confirming that Vista was running slow and that I either could install Windows 7 or XP (by using the recovery CD) I downloaded 7, burned it to a DVD and installed. And that’s it.
And as well as Holurb describes I don’t have any menus popping up when pressing FN+F5. It seems strange.

(Too I have problems with using Lenovos own ThinkPad Fingerprint Service, but luckily I’ve found a way through using UPEKs Program and the drivers following with that. So if you have problems with this too Holurb, you might want to try this.)

suneemil May 13, 2009 at 16:45

If you don’t know a solution, then never mind.
I wanted to use Bluetooth for my phone, but I’ve figured just to use the SD-card reader instead, which works fine, and to makes me rid of installing a thousand Nokia connectivity programs and drivers. 🙂

Marin May 13, 2009 at 17:11

Well, I just reinstalled both my laptops with Windows 7 x64 RC. Blue tooth device was installed on both of them without any extra tampering and Nokia PC syncs just nice with Outlook 2007. Even my fingerprint reader was automatically installed on SL500.

suneemil May 27, 2009 at 23:42

Nice. I’m changing to RC tonight aswell, so I just hope that’ll be as smooth. 🙂

Dustin July 24, 2009 at 17:20

I have a SL500 i have 2 unknown devices and my buttons on the left the sound/and blue think button don’t work. I”ve formatted 3 times and tried many of the beta drivers. Any help would be great~!

Marin Franković July 25, 2009 at 21:39

I think that you need to install System Interface driver, Power management driver and Hot Key driver. Here is the link: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Beta_OS&thread.id=1015

Yako September 6, 2009 at 22:03

Hi Marin,

I have SL500 too (2746-A78)
I just wanna ask one question. Where can i find Win7 32Bit drivers?

Marin Franković September 6, 2009 at 22:23

Hi Yako,

all currently available drivers can be found here -> http://skrati.net/fe8 .

Yako September 7, 2009 at 14:38

Thnx for short link:)

I Just wondering; Why Lenovo didn’t publishing Win7 drivers on official site? We can find only Vista and Xp drivers on their web site.

I’m confusing…

Marin Franković September 7, 2009 at 15:04

Well Yako, as they explain it, official (non Beta) drivers will be available when Windows 7 is officialy downloadable by all, so nothing before 22.10.2009.

Rene September 22, 2009 at 19:44

I got a problem with Hotkey Drivers. When I try to install the hotkey driver (Win7 64) I always receive an error message (Runtime c++) and the installation aborted abnormal.
Does anybody got the same problems or a workaround for this issue?

Marin Franković September 22, 2009 at 20:15

Hi Rene,

to be honest I gave up on Lenovo ThinkVantage software until they release full version for Windows 7. Currently they have beta or RC versions and I do not have the time or will to battle with it. I highly recommend you to be patient until 22.10. when Windows 7 will be released to general public and Lenovo should release their suite of applications.

Ngoc-Huong Nguyen September 29, 2009 at 19:27

I agree with Marin, I’m just going to sit tight until the 22nd. I just restored my laptop because as much as I like Windows 7, so much stuff was not working on the 64-bit install I did. None of the side buttons, etc etc. Also, did anyone notice when they installed windows 7 that it wiped out the ServiceV003 partition? I installed on the SW_Preload partition but after Windows 7 started for the first time, that partition became C: and the 1.5 GB ServiceV003 partition was toast.

latata October 20, 2009 at 12:12

I found how to turn on the bluetooth in Access Connections. Firstly try to open using Fn + F5. If application did not open just open the folder you installed application and open file AcFnF5.exe 🙂

Benzene October 24, 2009 at 10:29

win7 was installed in my thinkpad sl500 several days ago.The most severe problem is Thermal Dissipation.The left of keybord and the Cooling holes is very high.A software shows the temprature of the cpu and gpu reach 70-80℃ often .Do yours have the same problem?

Marin Franković October 24, 2009 at 10:39

My laptop is running without power off for the past few days. HDD temperature is 39 ℃, CPU temperature is 45 ℃ and case temperature is 48 ℃. I used CPUID Hadrware Monitor application to test it.

mamaloo November 27, 2009 at 3:02

hi every one

i have sl500. and using windows 7 beta . i install every drivers of bluetooth on my notebook but this device does not work yet. and this error tell me bluetooth not found !

plz help me ! how this device do work ?

Marin Franković November 27, 2009 at 10:54

Hello,

my first advice would be to install Windows 7 release version. After that, download ThinkVantage SystemUpdate 4.0 and use it to download all required drivers for SL500.

gerard November 30, 2009 at 1:20

Hello,

I have installed the 64 bits Windows 7. All is working fine except that I have two unkown devices I did not identified what they are. They are identified as Bus PCI 13 function 2 and function 3. Do you have an idea what are those devices. Bluetooth, wifi, finger print reader,SD card reader usb are working fine. I did not test PCI express Card reader as I do not have one to connect

Marin Franković November 30, 2009 at 9:50

Hello gerard,
it seems that those two devices are PCI bus controlers. Did you try to install SystemUpdate 4.0 and run it?

Yako December 3, 2009 at 14:59

I upgraded to 7 Ultima32 from Vista HomePrem32. Not clean install. I m very happy. Its like clean install. Perfect operation. There is no any driver conflict or something. Sl500 just needed download Nvidia Driver (170mb~).

Now i have one prblem. My fan is running non stop. 7/24, on battery or AC. doesn’t matter. Fan running forever.

Anybody has any idea?

the dude January 7, 2010 at 23:33

no idea…but thanks for sharing…’cos i was gonna install win 7 x86 on my SL500…probably need to search for a solution before installing th os.

Tarkesh February 27, 2010 at 12:21

I cudn’t be getting proper driver for my lenevo SL500 thinkpad. pls do give sm suggestion

Zare March 30, 2010 at 11:26

Mozete li mi pomoci i u vezi ovih dole problema.
Inace, instalirao sam Win 7 Ultimate, napravio update i napravio System Update 4.0 (ThinkVantage).

1. Driver Not Installed – Base System Device (PCI bus 13, device 0, function 2) – I found a thread recommending to install Ricoh multi-card driver, however, there is no such driver for SL500.

2. Driver Not Installed – Base System Device (PCI bus 13, device 0, function 3) – same issue as above.

Uglavnom mi sve radi osim Fn + F9 (to sam za sada uocio).

Marin Franković March 30, 2010 at 11:52

Hi Zare,

here (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70413.html) you can find all available drivers for SL500 notebook. Did you try Windows update? Fn + F9 is Eject Utility, I never used it myself so … 🙂 Did you try to uninstall ATK and HotKey drivers, restart and reinstall ATK and HotKey drivers?

Marina June 14, 2010 at 13:32

I started the etup but eventully I had sign that ” no bluetooth device detected ” please tel me what to do??

Harold Frank November 7, 2010 at 20:23

Today’s date: 11-07-10
I just purchased a new Lenovo W510. It has a 64bit operating system, Windows 7.

All the programs on this computer are specifically built for a 64bit system. No problems.

IE 8 works fine. Fingerprint reader and password manager works fine.
IE8-64bit works fine. EXCEPT for the fingerprint reader and password manager which does not work.

Thanks Microsoft

Marin Franković November 7, 2010 at 20:29

Hi Harold,

so does fingerprint reader and password manager work or not? BTW, Microsoft is not responsible for writing drivers for Lenovo hardware. Lenovo should od it.

rameez October 15, 2011 at 14:25

brother , i cant find battery installed.. it working gud but it says baterry not installed.. same SL 500 ..when cnvrtd from vista to 7

Marin Franković October 17, 2011 at 19:27

Hi rameez,

did you instal System Update utility and after that installed all required drivers and components?

Gerard May 2, 2012 at 22:39

hello

Is there someone who has SL500 camera working under windows 7 x64 ?
I contacted lenovo support but the latest driver provided is working only under windows Vista and unfortunately not under Win 7 x64 –> the camera is still not found under devices.

Marin Franković May 3, 2012 at 10:53

Hi Gerard,

Camera driver for x64 Windiws 7 is working perfect. Did you try to use System Update from Lenovo to download latest drivers?

Michał July 22, 2012 at 9:21

Well, my integrated camera has also stopped work after upgrade to win 7 64-bit.
Neither manual instalation of drivers from levono website nor System Update from Lenovo works…

Michał July 24, 2012 at 12:54

I`ve called Lenovo phone service and the service guy said, thant SL500 had been made for 32-bit Vista and the best way to upgrade to 64 bit Win 7 is to upgrade from Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit first and than to Win 7 64-bit. No comments…

Yako2k3 June 16, 2013 at 17:41

Hi There, my SL500’s fingerprintreader cable and microphone cable are broken. I Checked out on eBay and similar sites but i couldn’t trust them. Can anybody show me the way? (living in Turkey)…